Ratio Question

Is it possible to do a ratio question in ODK? Something to the effect of: "Please assign 100 units among the following five beverage types in order of preference. The beverage you like most should receive the most points, and the beverage you like least should receive the fewest. All units must be allocated." The survey's five questions--Beer, Wine, Gatorade, Water, Soda--would be listed immediately following the question/instructions each awaiting the assignment of an integer 0 to 100.

The answer to these types of questions are powerful. I've been able to generate something similar using GROUPS, FIELD-LIST, INTEGER, CALCULATION, and CONSTRAINTS. But it's clunky and I'm hesitant to field it. Is there a TYPE of question available and/or is there a good workaround that will do the trick?

Any help you can offer would be highly appreciated.
~anthony

Anthony,

I think the way you are doing is probably the only way. If you want
optimizations, then perhaps post an XLSForm with just one of those
questions and the community can offer feedback.

Yaw

··· -- Need ODK services? http://nafundi.com provides form design, server setup, professional support, and software development for ODK.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM, demattee@gmail.com wrote:

Is it possible to do a ratio question in ODK? Something to the effect of: "Please assign 100 units among the following five beverage types in order of preference. The beverage you like most should receive the most points, and the beverage you like least should receive the fewest. All units must be allocated." The survey's five questions--Beer, Wine, Gatorade, Water, Soda--would be listed immediately following the question/instructions each awaiting the assignment of an integer 0 to 100.

The answer to these types of questions are powerful. I've been able to generate something similar using GROUPS, FIELD-LIST, INTEGER, CALCULATION, and CONSTRAINTS. But it's clunky and I'm hesitant to field it. Is there a TYPE of question available and/or is there a good workaround that will do the trick?

Any help you can offer would be highly appreciated.
~anthony

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Hi, I'm wondering about the same thing. Anyone has a more 'classy' solution to a "ratio" question?

Thanks

If its only a ratio of 2 things - eg Beer vs Wine - then probably the 'classiest' solution would be to use a range widget, one end representing 'beer' and the other 'wine', and the value selected between determining the ratio. Unfortunately there's no current widget that allows you to segment the range into multiple segments, which you'd need to add Gatorade, Water, Soda, ...

But you might also want to look at the rank widget, if its really just a relative ordering that you are after.

Otherwise, as indicated above, you probably have to resort to distinct questions with suitable constraints to ensure the their collective total equals 100.

2 Likes