Recommendation for sturdy 7" tablet to be used in Africa

Hi -
I'm need to narrow down and decide on best 7" android tablet (< $250usd)for my ODK survey that will be used in Africa and handled by numerous people (so, it's likely to get some rough handling, etc). Any strong recommendations from mHealth folks or advice what to avoid? Thx!!

We have had a number of projects for which we or our partners bought
hundreds of tablets. They vary from very cheap (Samsung Tab3 Lite) which is
pretty bad to one of the best-value tablets Nexus 7. In general, you get
what you pay for.

For tablets used for surveys, I think both hardware and software matter.
You should make clear what you need first, such as:

• Hardware: do you need to have GPS, 3G, back/front cameras...
  • Software: Which version of Android can you work with? Do you need
    restricted profiles....

And maybe it's good not to let the availability in the local communities
bound your decision

··· On Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:08:48 AM UTC+7, Brenda Rodgers wrote: > > Hi - > I'm need to narrow down and decide on best 7" android tablet (< > $250usd)for my ODK survey that will be used in Africa and handled by > numerous people (so, it's likely to get some rough handling, etc). Any > strong recommendations from mHealth folks or advice what to avoid? Thx!!

Thanks Trung,

some very helpful directions. To use ODK Collect across many tablets >25 i need a tablet that can handle the interface with minimal expense on cameras and GPS etc. What recommendations do you have and how cheap can you go before it will not work. For example is the Amazon Fire Tablet going to work? I will need to charge the devices and upload the results for backup each day and will be in isolated parts of Tanzania.

All comments warmly received.

Stuart

··· On Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 12:23:26 PM UTC+1, Trung wrote: > We have had a number of projects for which we or our partners bought hundreds of tablets. They vary from very cheap (Samsung Tab3 Lite) which is pretty bad to one of the best-value tablets Nexus 7. In general, you get what you pay for. > > > For tablets used for surveys, I think both hardware and software matter. You should make clear what you need first, such as: > - Hardware: do you need to have GPS, 3G, back/front cameras... > - Software: Which version of Android can you work with? Do you need restricted profiles.... > > > And maybe it's good not to let the availability in the local communities bound your decision > > > > > On Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:08:48 AM UTC+7, Brenda Rodgers wrote:Hi - > > I'm need to narrow down and decide on best 7" android tablet (< $250usd)for my ODK survey that will be used in Africa and handled by numerous people (so, it's likely to get some rough handling, etc). Any strong recommendations from mHealth folks or advice what to avoid? Thx!!

Hi Stuart,

We work with ODK Collect on Samsung Tab 3 Lite tablets in very isolated
parts of Tanzania (Simanjiro & Longido districts) and they do the job.
(www.maishabora-tz.org) Just make sure you buy a screen protector and a
case.

All best,
Toon

··· On Thursday, 1 December 2016 21:13:22 UTC+3, stuart.k...@gmail.com wrote: > > > Thanks Trung, > > some very helpful directions. To use ODK Collect across many tablets >25 i > need a tablet that can handle the interface with minimal expense on cameras > and GPS etc. What recommendations do you have and how cheap can you go > before it will not work. For example is the Amazon Fire Tablet going to > work? I will need to charge the devices and upload the results for backup > each day and will be in isolated parts of Tanzania. > > All comments warmly received. > > Stuart > > On Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 12:23:26 PM UTC+1, Trung wrote: > > We have had a number of projects for which we or our partners bought > hundreds of tablets. They vary from very cheap (Samsung Tab3 Lite) which is > pretty bad to one of the best-value tablets Nexus 7. In general, you get > what you pay for. > > > > > > For tablets used for surveys, I think both hardware and software matter. > You should make clear what you need first, such as: > > - Hardware: do you need to have GPS, 3G, back/front cameras... > > - Software: Which version of Android can you work with? Do you need > restricted profiles.... > > > > > > And maybe it's good not to let the availability in the local communities > bound your decision > > > > > > > > > > On Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:08:48 AM UTC+7, Brenda Rodgers wrote:Hi > - > > > > I'm need to narrow down and decide on best 7" android tablet (< > $250usd)for my ODK survey that will be used in Africa and handled by > numerous people (so, it's likely to get some rough handling, etc). Any > strong recommendations from mHealth folks or advice what to avoid? Thx!! >