Reducing the disk size - Effect on Central/Docker?

Hi,

I installed central on an AWS server with around 300GB, for a project which involved a lot of images. After few months, I saw that the disk capacity is full near to 80%. I had to perform central upgrade, so I pumped up the disk to 600GB in that upgrade. However, as the last steps of upgrade, when I ran the 'docker image prune' command, the removal of bloated data brought down my disk usage from 240GB to only 40GB. I got surprised, but did not reduce the disk size, in order to be safe.

Now the current real data size is around 60GB, but the disk is still 600GB. The problem I am facing is that on AWS, when I take the backup of server through SNAPSHOT, its a 600GB snapshot which costs quite some money, especially if I have to take multiple snapshots every month.

My question: If I reduce the disk size from 600GB to 300GB or any other smaller value, can it cause any issue to Central/data? Is it recommended to do this safely (how?)? Would docker be able to adjust everything automatically?

Thanks,
Saad

If your volume is 600 GB and your Central install is using 60 GB, then yes, you can safely shrink that volume and it won't bother Central or Docker.

What you shrink it to is up to you. Personally, I'd use a 100 GB volume, but it really depends on how your database is growing and what kind of monitoring you have in place.

Note that on AWS, you can't shrink volumes. You'll need to create a new volume and copy the central and docker data over to the new volume.

Many thanks @yanokwa.

Note that on AWS, you can't shrink volumes. You'll need to create a new volume and copy the central and docker data over to the new volume.

That's a big ouch. I didn't know that. More headaches for me probably! :slight_smile: But thanks anyway.