Repeats - any way to prevent going back and changing?

hi all,

I'm using repeat groups pretty successfully. I have a problem where some users will fill out one group, then go to "Add new group" and, before they start filling out the new repeating group, they will swipe backwards and start entering that data on the existing, already collected group. Is there any constraint I can add to these fields that checks for this and prevents the user from overwriting these already answered questions?

I have thought about changing the source code to turn off "navigate backwards" for certain forms, but I thought there might be an easier way.

thanks!

No. There is no mechanism in XForms to prevent changes once a value has
been entered.

We added a once() formula that would allow you to store the initial
response to a new field, or perform a calculation exactly once (e.g., to
generate a random number), but there isn't a mechanism to prevent editing
or re-visiting existing answers.

··· On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM, wrote:

hi all,

I'm using repeat groups pretty successfully. I have a problem where some
users will fill out one group, then go to "Add new group" and, before they
start filling out the new repeating group, they will swipe backwards and
start entering that data on the existing, already collected group. Is
there any constraint I can add to these fields that checks for this and
prevents the user from overwriting these already answered questions?

I have thought about changing the source code to turn off "navigate
backwards" for certain forms, but I thought there might be an easier way.

thanks!

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks for the response, Mitch. For now I have changed the default backward/forward behavior to button presses instead of swipes. We will see if this resolves the problem my users were having.

Cheers,
Scott

··· On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 2:12:01 PM UTC-7, Mitch Sundt wrote: > No. There is no mechanism in XForms to prevent changes once a value has been entered. > > > We added a once() formula that would allow you to store the initial response to a new field, or perform a calculation exactly once (e.g., to generate a random number), but there isn't a mechanism to prevent editing or re-visiting existing answers. > > > > > > > On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM, wrote: > hi all, > > > > I'm using repeat groups pretty successfully. I have a problem where some users will fill out one group, then go to "Add new group" and, before they start filling out the new repeating group, they will swipe backwards and start entering that data on the existing, already collected group. Is there any constraint I can add to these fields that checks for this and prevents the user from overwriting these already answered questions? > > > > I have thought about changing the source code to turn off "navigate backwards" for certain forms, but I thought there might be an easier way. > > > > thanks! > > > > -- > > -- > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > --- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > > -- > > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com