Restrict user to next until video ends

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.

I am adding a video into ODK, and need to restrict user to go to next untill user watch full video
quick response is really appreciated

BR,Nouman.S

Could you include a code as part of the end screen of the video that they need to plug into the next question? Though it wouldn't prevent them skipping forward in the video to get the code...

1 Like

can you please suggest with example

+---------+--------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------+----------+------------+--------------------------------------------+
|  type   |     name     |                       label                        |  video   | autoplay | constraint |             constraint_message             |
+---------+--------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------+----------+------------+--------------------------------------------+
| note    | info_video   | Please watch the video                             | info.mp4 | video    |            |                                            |
| integer | number_check | What was the number shown at the end of the video? |          |          | .=13       | Please make sure you watch the whole video |

Insert a screen at the end of the video that has the number on it and then do something like the above where the constraint on the next question requires the answer to match the number shown in the video.

1 Like

if i add the number at the end of video than that number will be memorized by interviewer and next time he will add this without watching video...

BR,Nouman.S

Why does the interviewer have to repeatedly watch the same video?
Or is the interviewer showing the video to the person being interviewed?

Interviewer showing the video to other persons

There is no way to restrict forward movement in the way you describe. Similar to @danbjoseph's concept, you could put the video in a field list with a yes/no question asking the data collector whether they showed the full video that has a constraint on it. It's harder to actively lie on a question like that than to just swipe past a task that's required.

I've seen people who hire enumerators make it part of their contract and condition for payment that review of their audit logs shows they spent enough time on each screen to complete the task. You can run automated checks for this or just spot check any suspected bad behavior.

1 Like
  • Seconding @LN, my next suggestion was going to be to use lightweight timestamping and/or an audit log to check that they remained on the screen long enough to watch the video.
  • Or maybe have a screen asking for the person being interviewed to sign to confirm that they were shown the full video.
  • Or does the video have sound and could you use a background audio recording as the check?
2 Likes

Oh yes, doing a background audio audit as well is a good idea! Then if the time spent in the form is very short you can listen to what actually was happening during that time. The files are not very big and they can provide quite a bit of insight.

1 Like

Hey, @noman.s2325 ! As I was going through the comments, I noticed that you have some concerns about trusting your data collectors. Don't worry, you're not alone! Many people feel the same way. A suggestion that @danbjoseph and @LN made, which I completely agree with, is to try out background audio recording. It's a fantastic feature that can make a real difference. I've personally been using it for quite some time now, and I've noticed a significant improvement in the quality of the data.

With the audio being recorded, there's a visible recording sign on the screen during the entire survey. This serves as a reminder to the data collectors that they're being recorded, making them more cautious and attentive when asking their questions. It's like having a CCTV system in place. I understand that it may not be feasible or necessary to listen to all the recordings. What I usually do is listen to a few recordings at the beginning and identify any mistakes. I then share these examples with the data collectors in our WhatsApp group. This way, they know that I'm actively listening to their conversations, which fosters a sense of accountability.

Furthermore, when it comes to cleaning the data, I find it more convenient to listen to the recordings myself rather than constantly calling the investigators to justify certain values they've entered. It saves time and allows me to correct any discrepancies directly based on what I hear.

If you're worried about the file size, let me share an example with you. Recently, I had an interview that lasted 2 hours and 9 minutes, resulting in a file size of 23.8 MB in m4a format. So, even for longer recordings, the file size remains manageable.

I hope this helps.

6 Likes

Nevertheless, our long experience is that responsability, correctness and motivation of well selected, trained and valued enumerators (and supervisors) remain critical for any survey and your data quality and can never be fully "controlled" by technology. And please, never try to do such "control" in hidden ways. You may even get legal data protection problems.

@wroos I completely agree with you that well-trained and motivated enumerators and supervisors are vital for data quality. Technology can assist, but it can't replace the human touch.
And you're absolutely right about transparency and ethics in data collection. The recording feature that ODK has developed is not hidden in any way. There's a visible recording symbol on the screen throughout the entire survey, so data collectors are well aware that they are being recorded. It's not meant to be a secretive or hidden control mechanism, but rather a tool to enhance data quality and accountability.

2 Likes

@Nikhil_Nikam, thanks for the solution but problem is interviewer used 3mm jack without speaker and mic and survey in unable to record voice and other issue is they can also pause or stop the recording.
is there any option in which we can hide these button like stop recording or pause recording?

Thanks,Nouman