Retrieving server password and user name

What is the problem? Please be detailed.

I am unable to log in my server.I changed password but suddenly it just stopped logging in.I have tried to log with the passwords i entered but no avail.I urgently need help cause people in my office are looking for the data like right now.Please help
What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
ODK aggregate 1.4.4.Using on a acer laptop and windows operating system

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Tried different passwords but not working
Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

Hi @William_Ngosa,

After searching in the forum, it looks like your best bet is to upgrade or reinstall your ODK Server. @yanokwa provided detailed instructions here:

As mentioned in other threads, it seems like re-running the installer is the only way to reset the password.

AS a good practice, always try to have a backup of the data and log-in information to the server to avoid this situations.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hi Jorge
Thank you very much for your response.I have been considering that but will I be able to recover all the data in the server.I have now learnt the hard way that backup is very very important.

In one of the threads I linked before:

I am yet to experience upgrading Aggregate, but before dealing with important data I would recreate the situation in a Test Server, send some data, and then try to upgrade. If it works in the test server, it may work in the real scenario.

@William_Ngosa If you installed on Google App Engine (you'll have an appspot.com address), and you have admin access through the App Engine account, then a reset is possible. Alternatively, if you installed on a machine running Tomcat and MySQL/PostgreSQL, and you have admin access to that machine, then a reset is also possible.

So the question is do you have admin access? And note this is not admin access to log into Aggregate, but rather the admin access needed to log into the infrastructure on which it is running.

If you don't have admin access, the other options are

1. Retrieve the data from the devices that sent them. Collect does not delete submissions unless you set it to do so. If you have access to the devices, you can retrieve the data.
  2. If you have form manager credentials configured in Aggregate, you can use Briefcase to retrieve the data from the server without having admin access.
1 Like