ReviewState does not appear during Central OData transfer to Power BI

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

First many thanks for the amazing ODK Central v.1.2. update! The ability to edit and assign ReviewStates of uploaded data has been a functionality that we were waiting on for quite some time, and it is a small celebration over here that it has arrived!

After updating ODK Central to v.1.2.2., we tested the functionality of adding Review State to some entries that we had issues with. We updated Review State to "Rejected" to two of the entries, and were planning to program a PowerBI step that automatically removes the entire row if the indicator "ReviewState" equals "Rejected". This would help to keep our dashboards clean, and would really limit the needed time to constantly make updates to existing reports in case some field staff upload data with errors.

Unfortunately, when testing out whether OData transfers the indicator "ReviewState" to PowerBI, I learned that it does not. Although it does show up as an indicator in downloaded .csv files, it does not appear in OData transfers to PowerBI. Could you advise why that may be the case? Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

ODK Central v.1.2.1., ODK collect - various versions, usually latest updates.

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Checked the metadata that is transferred from ODK Central-based form onto PowerBI. Opened all grouped columns, conducted indicator searches.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

Try to open a blank report onto PowerBI, and see whether it transfers over the ReviewState indicator via OData.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

It sounds like another community member is having a similar issue:

Review state is in the __system column. You can confirm, by following these steps.

1. From Home, click on the Transform data in the menu bar to open up Power Query.
  2. On the right-hand side of the screen, you should see the list of Applied Steps. Click on Navigation.
  3. Now at the top of the screen, you should see your __system column. Expand it.
  4. You should now see reviewState.

As to how you adjust your Power BI dashboard to include that new column, that's dependent on what steps you took to build the dashboard to begin with. It's up to you to make the necessary adjustments.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: OData connectivity not giving STATE AND ACTIONS field - ODK Central

Dear @yanokwa, as usual, thanks so much for the support! I tried it also with a report that we made with an OData link from an earlier version of ODK Central. It already had a number of steps in the Power Query. By clicking on the "Navigation" step, the approach you proposed allowed to insert an extra step that now also displays the ReviewState column. This will really reduce the manhours put into cleaning dashboards!

2 Likes

i did what you recommend but can't see the review state still. here is a screenshot

i have figured it out

3 Likes