Samsung Galaxy

Hello,

I am about to start using ODK for some lengthy surveys, so I'm trying to pick a tablet with a large, user friendly screen for images etc. The survey will include taking photos and it will probably have to be encrypted. Tablets will also be used on a beach, hence one rugged option.

Before I spend out has anyone tried, or had problems with:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018) SM-T585
or
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 SM-T395
of
Archos Sense 101x (rugged, relatively poor battery life)

I can't find any reports of people using any of these three.

I was also considering trying an Amazon Fire - it looks like some people are using it but am not sure of GPS accuracy (if it has a sim card functionality).

Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks very much,
Liz

Hi @LizMarine

I'm not really familiar with tablets because generally use phones for developing and testing but according to our statistics Samsung Galaxy Tab A is the most popular device used by our users so I guess it's a good device and generally I like Samsung devices (from my personal experience).

2 Likes

These were my thoughts but keen to know how cheaper alternatives stand up.

Also, I'm always cautious with the newest versions, hence the request.

I use a Tab A SM-T285 so all releases are verified on it. Like @Grzesiek2010 has mentioned, various versions of the Tab A have been the most popular devices for some time. If you can find older revisions you can likely save a lot. I can personally vouch for the SM-T285 (2016 revision).

1 Like