Slow Installation of ODK central

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
Hi all, When I tried to install the ODK central on the Aliyun (silimar product to AWS) with a server in Beijing. Things went fine until the "docker-compose build" step. The download speed of the step "Step 1/12 : FROM ghcr.io/enketo/enketo-express:3.0.3
3.0.3: Pulling from enketo/enketo-express" is extremely slow (i.e., <10k/s). The long time downloading make remote disconnection of the server. I have tried to restart in past a few days, every time the same. Sorry I am not an expert on this but I guess the server location makes this happen. I would be super appreciate if any of you have an idea on how to speed up this process.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-86-generic x86_64)
Alibaba Cloud Elastic Compute Service

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

The Great Firewall is blocking GitHub's ghrc.io servers. For this specific issue, in docker-compose.yml, change ghcr.io/enketo/enketo-express:3.0.3 to enketo/enketo-express:3.0.3 and it will use DockerHub's servers instead of GitHub's servers.

But you'll run into the same issue with pyxform because we don't have that running on DockerHub. I've filed an issue and I'll try to get a build to DockerHub when I have a moment in the next week or two. Even if that is fixed, who knows what else the firewall will block and when...

And as promised, pyxform-http is now on DockerHub, so you can switch to that image if you'd like.

Thanks Yaw. That means a lot!

1 Like