Submission edit with Enketo - /!\ with calculations from ODK Collect submissions

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

The intent was to edit 1 single field at the very end of the form (having jumped at the end of the form to be sure that other answers were not touched) in a submission that has been initially submitted with ODK Collect and filled out apparently in English in a form that allowed both English and Swahili.

After validation of this single change, it appeared that actually all the calculations in the form had been run again and therefore edited (obviously this was only visible after validating the submission), including the time formatting of the timestamps that are triggered by a specific answer in the form on ODK Collect, but also choice labels was then translated to Swahili as the Enketo form was edited with Swahili as the default language.
It seems fortunately that the timestamps are actually intact, so no information "lost" but the summary of edits in ODK Central is a bit scary I must say (you edit 1 field and you get a long list of changes with times at 00:00:00 :sweat_smile:)

Second point, the change is visible in the web interface, but I cannot find its track in the audit file (unless I am mistaken here). Are these two separate systems?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

ODK Central versions:
client (v1.3.2)
server (v1.3.3)

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Read the documentation again :wink:
I understand that all calculations in the form are run at the validation stage. While in general, it seems to me a desirable behaviour (as if you change a variable, you need to launch again the calculation associated to this variable), I am wondering if this may not create other unanticipated issues when editing submissions. Obviously, I realise now that I should have tested editing the form before asking my co-workers to do this on real data (this is what happens when you are rushing things rather than using your brain). I would definitely encourage other ODK users to test the edit feature on dummy submissions if they are collecting data with ODK Collect.
In addition, it may be helpful if this is a bit more highlighted for end-users to avoid such surprises, especially as you cannot discard the edit and revert to the previous submission state.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

I can share the form if needed, but this will probably be easily replicated with any form using calculations.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Excerpt of ODK Central display (only the variable a1_a_4 was updated manually - the rest was ~40 updated calculations, not all on this screenshot)

Excerpt of the repeat export with timestamps intact but time formatting edited to 00:00:00

End of the audit file (only logs from ODK Collect appear here)