Tablet Recommendations?

Hi folks. The Carter Center is thinking of buying some tablets. I'm
wondering what people are using these days and how much they cost and
if any of them can be used for voice. Thanks!

Tom,

We've had good luck with the Galaxy Tab. I believe it has voice
capabilities, but you either have to buy the European version, or
flash that firmware onto it.

Eric Couper has a blog post up comparing phones and tablets. They also
use the Tab.
http://africasoils.net/labs/mobile/tablets-vs-phones-hardware-matters

Curtis Broderick has ODK running on a Nook.

Pretty sure we have a Xoom in the lab that runs ODK well, but haven't
had a chance to play with it.

Yaw

··· On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 05:57, Thomas Smyth wrote: > Hi folks. The Carter Center is thinking of buying some tablets. I'm > wondering what people are using these days and how much they cost and > if any of them can be used for voice. Thanks! > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

What about this Amazon tablet? Isn't it super cheap?

The Kindle Fire is $200 and should be relatively easy to sideload apps
(or reflash firmware).

Caveat 1: It's still very early days, so I don't know if I would
deploy them just yet as a field device -- sideloading and reflashing
are still hacky.


Caveat 2: The reason it's inexpensive is because Amazon sees it as a
content device and would like to keep it that way. Also, I can imagine
a future where Amazon customizes the platform so much that it doesn't
behave like the Android we know.

··· On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 06:42, Thomas Smyth wrote: > What about this Amazon tablet? Isn't it super cheap? > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

We have been using the original Galaxy Tabs with the 7 inch screens,
but those are getting harder to find. Also, we aren't super happy with
the GPS hardware in the Tabs <http://africasoils.net/labs/mobile/
testing-gps-quality-on-android-devices/>, so for future deployments we
are looking at HTC and, in particular, the HTC Flyer.

Let us all know what you decide and your experiences with it!

Eric A. Couper, MPA DP http://mdp.ei.columbia.edu/
ICT & Agriculture Coordinator
Africa Soil Information Service
c. +255 764 907 683
e. eric.couper@gmail.com
s. eric.couper
t. @_couper

··· On Jan 7, 11:02 am, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > The Kindle Fire is $200 and should be relatively easy to sideload apps > (or reflash firmware). > > Caveat 1: It's still very early days, so I don't know if I would > deploy them just yet as a field device -- sideloading and reflashing > are still hacky.http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideloadhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1368012 > > Caveat 2: The reason it's inexpensive is because Amazon sees it as a > content device and would like to keep it that way. Also, I can imagine > a future where Amazon customizes the platform so much that it doesn't > behave like the Android we know.http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/16/2642039/amazon-kindle-fire-redirec... > > > > > > > > On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 06:42, Thomas Smyth wrote: > > What about this Amazon tablet? Isn't it super cheap? > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en