'The Java jar file "ODK Briefcase....jar" could not be launched

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
I can't get ODK briefcase to open...I get this error message 'The Java jar file "ODK Briefcase....jar" could not be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages."

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
I've tried both ODK Briefcase-v1.12.1 and also downloading the newest versionv1.12.2 and I get the same error message. I am using a Mac os High Sierra

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.
I tried to check the console, I have hundreds of messages and I'm not sure how to find out which one is specific to this problem.

I've found the error message in the ODK briefcase log, here it is:

2018-11-04 15:47:21,110 [main] ERROR o.o.briefcase.ui.MainBriefcaseWindow - Failed to launch GUI
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Duplicate key org.opendatakit.briefcase.model.FormStatus@2b72cb8a
at java.util.stream.Collectors.lambda$throwingMerger$0(Collectors.java:133)
at java.util.HashMap.merge(HashMap.java:1254)
at java.util.stream.Collectors.lambda$toMap$58(Collectors.java:1320)
at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$3ReducingSink.accept(ReduceOps.java:169)
at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1382)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:708)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:499)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.transfer.TransferForms.rebuildIndex(TransferForms.java:163)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.transfer.TransferForms.(TransferForms.java:40)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.transfer.TransferForms.from(TransferForms.java:55)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.ui.push.PushPanel.from(PushPanel.java:100)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.ui.MainBriefcaseWindow.(MainBriefcaseWindow.java:117)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.ui.MainBriefcaseWindow.launchGUI(MainBriefcaseWindow.java:78)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.Launcher.lambda$main$0(Launcher.java:67)
at org.opendatakit.common.cli.Cli.lambda$run$5(Cli.java:136)
at java.lang.Iterable.forEach(Iterable.java:75)
at org.opendatakit.common.cli.Cli.run(Cli.java:136)
at org.opendatakit.briefcase.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:79)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:58)

1 Like

Hi @iowoputi,

Which version of briefcase were you using before?
Try using new odk storage directory, ie move or rename the old the old one, then re-launch briefcase again.

2 Likes

Thank you, moving and renaming the ODK storage directory seemed to work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, please mark it as solved to close the thread.

Regards

Dickson

2 Likes

Dear user,

I have the same message.

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
I can't get ODK briefcase to open...I get this error message 'The Java jar file "ODK Briefcase....jar" could not be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages."

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
I've tried both ODK Briefcase-v1.17.1 and also downloading the newest versionv1.12.2 and I get the same error message. I am using a Mac os High Sierra;

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.
I tried to find the console but I don't know how to open it, despite following advices found on Java website.