We are actually moving some of our forms from Aggregate to Central.
To buy time and not have 5 or 6 more routines to recreate on Central I tried to fill the submission_url column with the Aggregate url in the forms "downloadable" In Central for datas to be sent to Aggregate where the good old and, above all, existing routines allow colleagues to check results of their inputs.
I made tests with at least 2 or 3 differents forms dowloaded from Central on my phone and it worked: no submission in Central and forms well visible in Aggregate.
But with colleagues now using some of thoses forms downoladed from Central for a few weeks, it seems it doesn't work any time for any forms.
It still works for at least one form, but for another one, we get the following error message when trying to send datas: "Failed to upload, make sure the form is configured to accept submissions on the server".
We made a lot of tests and check with @mathieubossaert to try to understand, without any success.
At the end, to be sure to have exactly the same forms/versions in both Central and Aggregate, we downloaded the xls form in Central, transformed it in xml using XLSForm Online V1 and uploaded it in Aggregate but the same error occured when trying to send datas.
So we tried also with a form without submission url, and this time submission (in Central) succeeded, so it seems the trouble comes from Aggregate.
Please, find attached:
- an image from the ODK message:
- the incriminated headache xls form with the url submission: [removed to avoid unwanted submissions]
- another xls with the same url submission, but whose datas are correctly sent in Aggregate : [removed to avoid unwanted submissions]
Thank you very much for any explanation you can give to us.