Verify that a field is not empty

Hi all.
I have a select multiple field with the Others option. The person has the option of entering three more answers. And I want that if someone chooses Others, the first occurrence is not empty. I try count-non-empty(${variable}) but it doesn't work. Could you help me please? Thank you in advance

Can you please share the XLSForm of what you've tried so far?

Test.xlsx (10.5 KB)
This is an example of what I want to do. If someone selects Other in the select multiple, I want that the first occurence of the field Other doesn't be empty.

What about asking how many other animals they have, and then using that number to set a required number of repeats?
Test_dj edits.xlsx (10.6 KB)

I don't think 4-count-selected(${Animals}) is a function? Where did you find that documented?

OK. Thanks. I will do as you said. About 4-count-selected(${Animals}), this was to account for the fact that multiple answers are limited to three. So if someone selects other options, the sum of all answers must be at least three. I just repeat the other options four minus the number of multiple answer. Four because, we don't count the field Other.