ODK is open-source software that helps users build powerful offline forms to collect the data they need wherever it is. It's used at scale by social impact organizations like the World Health Organization, Red Cross, the Carter Center, and more.
ODK is led by a small, diverse, and distributed team. We care about having social impact, building open-source software, and empowering our community of users.
ODK is looking for a Software Engineer to join our core team. The ideal candidate is passionate about user experience and writes clearly and concisely. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Helping shape ODK's roadmap
- Specifying, designing, and building new features
- Writing maintainable code, tests, and documentation
- Reviewing your teammates' code and providing feedback
- Providing occasional technical support to users
Some of the improvements you will help design and build solutions for include:
- Better integration between our mobile app and server platform (e.g., synchronization of large data sets, pushing client configs from the server)
- Repeated encounters with the same entity (e.g., a patient's multiple medical visits, a natural resource that is periodically surveyed)
- More natural representation and management of organizations' forms, data, and workflows (e.g., richer role-based permissions, partitioning data sets by department, tasking users to complete a sequence of forms)
- Has experience communicating directly with users about their needs
- Has 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Has experience on projects that span multiple programming languages
- Can read carefully, write clearly, and think methodically
- Can provide friendly, thoughtful, and constructive advice
- Is curious, persistent, and cooperative
- Experience with data collection, analysis, or visualization systems
- Experience designing and documenting APIs
- Experience with Node.js, Vue.js, PostgreSQL, and Docker
- Experience leading globally distributed teams
- Interest in user experience, user interfaces, visual design
- History of contributions to open source projects
- History of working on problems with social impact
- Contribute to an open-source project with immense social impact
- Work with a open, distributed, and fun community
- Flexible multi-year contract-based arrangement
- Flexible hours, remote work, and location independence
- Expected annual compensation is USD $120k-180k
To apply, send your resume to email@example.com with the subject "Software Engineer for ODK". In the email or optional cover letter, answer this prompt:
- What's a feature you think needs to be added to ODK? How did you decide that was a good feature to add? How would you go about implementing it?
If you do not answer the above prompt, your application will not be considered.
Promising candidates will get 1-2 short interviews and a 30 minute programming project. If those go well, we will pursue a longer-term arrangement.