Where to find starter docs?

Hi developers,
I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK
collection client in an own application.
I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I just
found doc about setting up the android devel environment.

I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field
survey application.
Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed
and then addressed by intent?

I apologize in advance for the noob question.

Thanks,
Andrea

andrea,

form entry and instance chooser activities both respond to intents,
and that's the recommended way to embed odk collect.

we don't have great documentation on this, but it's pretty straight
forward. the intents we respond to are at
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/AndroidManifest.xml?repo=collect.

the intents generally do the standard android things (view, edit,
pick, etc), but check the activity source for the details. search for
"Intent.ACTION" and you'll find it.

hope that helps,

yaw

··· On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:13, andrea antonello wrote: > Hi developers, > I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK > collection client in an own application. > I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I just > found doc about setting up the android devel environment. > > I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field > survey application. > Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed > and then addressed by intent? > > I apologize in advance for the noob question. > > Thanks, > Andrea >

Hi Yaw,
thank you for your answer.

I see the action intents, I was hoping to find some example binding
but as I see ODK is mostly used as standalone clientside app?

I would be interested for example to have a first screen that takes a
barcode and populatetes the rest of the form pages with some
preconfigured data to check. Is this usecase possible?

Also I would like to integrate ODK data collection in the open source
geopaparazzi app (www.geopaparazzi.eu). In that case I would need to
be able to retrieve the main form types on my own and open them when
sampling is needed, perhaps filling in the position automatically.
Right now we use some simepl json forms (
http://code.google.com/p/geopaparazzi/wiki/AddNoteByTag2 ), which I
would love to substitute with this amazing project.

Can you give me some more advice about the above matters?
Also is there anyone that maybe integrated ODK in his app and would be
ok to share some example code?

Thanks,
Andrea

··· On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > andrea, > > form entry and instance chooser activities both respond to intents, > and that's the recommended way to embed odk collect. > > we don't have great documentation on this, but it's pretty straight > forward. the intents we respond to are at > http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/AndroidManifest.xml?repo=collect. > > the intents generally do the standard android things (view, edit, > pick, etc), but check the activity source for the details. search for > "Intent.ACTION" and you'll find it. > > hope that helps, > > yaw > > On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:13, andrea antonello wrote: >> Hi developers, >> I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK >> collection client in an own application. >> I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I just >> found doc about setting up the android devel environment. >> >> I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field >> survey application. >> Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed >> and then addressed by intent? >> >> I apologize in advance for the noob question. >> >> Thanks, >> Andrea >> >

andrea,

odk tables should have examples of launching collect as a standalone
app and injecting data into the form. your app could then do the
barcode scan, get the data and inject it into collect.

i'm not familiar with the odk tables code base, but let me know if you
can't find it. http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse?repo=spreadsheet

yaw

··· On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 00:35, andrea antonello wrote: > Hi Yaw, > thank you for your answer. > > I see the action intents, I was hoping to find some example binding > but as I see ODK is mostly used as standalone clientside app? > > I would be interested for example to have a first screen that takes a > barcode and populatetes the rest of the form pages with some > preconfigured data to check. Is this usecase possible? > > Also I would like to integrate ODK data collection in the open source > geopaparazzi app (www.geopaparazzi.eu). In that case I would need to > be able to retrieve the main form types on my own and open them when > sampling is needed, perhaps filling in the position automatically. > Right now we use some simepl json forms ( > http://code.google.com/p/geopaparazzi/wiki/AddNoteByTag2 ), which I > would love to substitute with this amazing project. > > Can you give me some more advice about the above matters? > Also is there anyone that maybe integrated ODK in his app and would be > ok to share some example code? > > Thanks, > Andrea > > > > > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >> andrea, >> >> form entry and instance chooser activities both respond to intents, >> and that's the recommended way to embed odk collect. >> >> we don't have great documentation on this, but it's pretty straight >> forward. the intents we respond to are at >> http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/AndroidManifest.xml?repo=collect. >> >> the intents generally do the standard android things (view, edit, >> pick, etc), but check the activity source for the details. search for >> "Intent.ACTION" and you'll find it. >> >> hope that helps, >> >> yaw >> >> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:13, andrea antonello wrote: >>> Hi developers, >>> I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK >>> collection client in an own application. >>> I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I just >>> found doc about setting up the android devel environment. >>> >>> I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field >>> survey application. >>> Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed >>> and then addressed by intent? >>> >>> I apologize in advance for the noob question. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Andrea >>> >> >

Hi Yaw,
thanks for the advices.

can't find it. http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse?repo=spreadsheet

I downloaded it and also tried to run it to figure out where to look
at. But I am not getting on as I would like to.
Is there any documentation about the project? I couldn't find a
wiki/doc dedicated to it.

Thanks,
Andrea

··· > > yaw > > > On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 00:35, andrea antonello wrote: >> Hi Yaw, >> thank you for your answer. >> >> I see the action intents, I was hoping to find some example binding >> but as I see ODK is mostly used as standalone clientside app? >> >> I would be interested for example to have a first screen that takes a >> barcode and populatetes the rest of the form pages with some >> preconfigured data to check. Is this usecase possible? >> >> Also I would like to integrate ODK data collection in the open source >> geopaparazzi app (www.geopaparazzi.eu). In that case I would need to >> be able to retrieve the main form types on my own and open them when >> sampling is needed, perhaps filling in the position automatically. >> Right now we use some simepl json forms ( >> http://code.google.com/p/geopaparazzi/wiki/AddNoteByTag2 ), which I >> would love to substitute with this amazing project. >> >> Can you give me some more advice about the above matters? >> Also is there anyone that maybe integrated ODK in his app and would be >> ok to share some example code? >> >> Thanks, >> Andrea >> >> >> >> >> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >>> andrea, >>> >>> form entry and instance chooser activities both respond to intents, >>> and that's the recommended way to embed odk collect. >>> >>> we don't have great documentation on this, but it's pretty straight >>> forward. the intents we respond to are at >>> http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/AndroidManifest.xml?repo=collect. >>> >>> the intents generally do the standard android things (view, edit, >>> pick, etc), but check the activity source for the details. search for >>> "Intent.ACTION" and you'll find it. >>> >>> hope that helps, >>> >>> yaw >>> >>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:13, andrea antonello wrote: >>>> Hi developers, >>>> I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK >>>> collection client in an own application. >>>> I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I just >>>> found doc about setting up the android devel environment. >>>> >>>> I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field >>>> survey application. >>>> Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed >>>> and then addressed by intent? >>>> >>>> I apologize in advance for the noob question. >>>> >>>> Thanks, >>>> Andrea >>>> >>> >> >

I have some problems browsing the tables (spreadsheet?) code.

The connection is done via the :
org.opendatakit.aggregate.odktables.client.AggregateConnection
class, which is inside a custom built jar contained in the project.
Following the namespace I am not able to find where that class is
taken from.
In fact the usual namespace used seems to be org.odk...., so I am
wondering where the code for AggregateConnection is hold.

Thanks,
Andrea

··· On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM, andrea antonello wrote: > Hi Yaw, > thanks for the advices. > >> odk tables should have examples of launching collect as a standalone >> app and injecting data into the form. your app could then do the >> barcode scan, get the data and inject it into collect. >> >> i'm not familiar with the odk tables code base, but let me know if you >> can't find it. http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse?repo=spreadsheet > > I downloaded it and also tried to run it to figure out where to look > at. But I am not getting on as I would like to. > Is there any documentation about the project? I couldn't find a > wiki/doc dedicated to it. > > Thanks, > Andrea > > > > >> >> yaw >> >> >> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 00:35, andrea antonello wrote: >>> Hi Yaw, >>> thank you for your answer. >>> >>> I see the action intents, I was hoping to find some example binding >>> but as I see ODK is mostly used as standalone clientside app? >>> >>> I would be interested for example to have a first screen that takes a >>> barcode and populatetes the rest of the form pages with some >>> preconfigured data to check. Is this usecase possible? >>> >>> Also I would like to integrate ODK data collection in the open source >>> geopaparazzi app (www.geopaparazzi.eu). In that case I would need to >>> be able to retrieve the main form types on my own and open them when >>> sampling is needed, perhaps filling in the position automatically. >>> Right now we use some simepl json forms ( >>> http://code.google.com/p/geopaparazzi/wiki/AddNoteByTag2 ), which I >>> would love to substitute with this amazing project. >>> >>> Can you give me some more advice about the above matters? >>> Also is there anyone that maybe integrated ODK in his app and would be >>> ok to share some example code? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Andrea >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >>>> andrea, >>>> >>>> form entry and instance chooser activities both respond to intents, >>>> and that's the recommended way to embed odk collect. >>>> >>>> we don't have great documentation on this, but it's pretty straight >>>> forward. the intents we respond to are at >>>> http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/AndroidManifest.xml?repo=collect. >>>> >>>> the intents generally do the standard android things (view, edit, >>>> pick, etc), but check the activity source for the details. search for >>>> "Intent.ACTION" and you'll find it. >>>> >>>> hope that helps, >>>> >>>> yaw >>>> >>>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:13, andrea antonello wrote: >>>>> Hi developers, >>>>> I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK >>>>> collection client in an own application. >>>>> I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I just >>>>> found doc about setting up the android devel environment. >>>>> >>>>> I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field >>>>> survey application. >>>>> Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed >>>>> and then addressed by intent? >>>>> >>>>> I apologize in advance for the noob question. >>>>> >>>>> Thanks, >>>>> Andrea >>>>> >>>> >>> >> >

hilary,

could you help andrea? and if you have some time, it'd be great to
start documenting the code on the wiki.

thanks,

yaw

··· On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 06:47, andrea antonello wrote: > I have some problems browsing the tables (spreadsheet?) code. > > The connection is done via the : > org.opendatakit.aggregate.odktables.client.AggregateConnection > class, which is inside a custom built jar contained in the project. > Following the namespace I am not able to find where that class is > taken from. > In fact the usual namespace used seems to be org.odk...., so I am > wondering where the code for AggregateConnection is hold. > > Thanks, > Andrea > > > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM, andrea antonello wrote: >> Hi Yaw, >> thanks for the advices. >> >>> odk tables should have examples of launching collect as a standalone >>> app and injecting data into the form. your app could then do the >>> barcode scan, get the data and inject it into collect. >>> >>> i'm not familiar with the odk tables code base, but let me know if you >>> can't find it. http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse?repo=spreadsheet >> >> I downloaded it and also tried to run it to figure out where to look >> at. But I am not getting on as I would like to. >> Is there any documentation about the project? I couldn't find a >> wiki/doc dedicated to it. >> >> Thanks, >> Andrea >> >> >> >> >>> >>> yaw >>> >>> >>> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 00:35, andrea antonello wrote: >>>> Hi Yaw, >>>> thank you for your answer. >>>> >>>> I see the action intents, I was hoping to find some example binding >>>> but as I see ODK is mostly used as standalone clientside app? >>>> >>>> I would be interested for example to have a first screen that takes a >>>> barcode and populatetes the rest of the form pages with some >>>> preconfigured data to check. Is this usecase possible? >>>> >>>> Also I would like to integrate ODK data collection in the open source >>>> geopaparazzi app (www.geopaparazzi.eu). In that case I would need to >>>> be able to retrieve the main form types on my own and open them when >>>> sampling is needed, perhaps filling in the position automatically. >>>> Right now we use some simepl json forms ( >>>> http://code.google.com/p/geopaparazzi/wiki/AddNoteByTag2 ), which I >>>> would love to substitute with this amazing project. >>>> >>>> Can you give me some more advice about the above matters? >>>> Also is there anyone that maybe integrated ODK in his app and would be >>>> ok to share some example code? >>>> >>>> Thanks, >>>> Andrea >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >>>>> andrea, >>>>> >>>>> form entry and instance chooser activities both respond to intents, >>>>> and that's the recommended way to embed odk collect. >>>>> >>>>> we don't have great documentation on this, but it's pretty straight >>>>> forward. the intents we respond to are at >>>>> http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/AndroidManifest.xml?repo=collect. >>>>> >>>>> the intents generally do the standard android things (view, edit, >>>>> pick, etc), but check the activity source for the details. search for >>>>> "Intent.ACTION" and you'll find it. >>>>> >>>>> hope that helps, >>>>> >>>>> yaw >>>>> >>>>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:13, andrea antonello wrote: >>>>>> Hi developers, >>>>>> I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK >>>>>> collection client in an own application. >>>>>> I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I just >>>>>> found doc about setting up the android devel environment. >>>>>> >>>>>> I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field >>>>>> survey application. >>>>>> Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed >>>>>> and then addressed by intent? >>>>>> >>>>>> I apologize in advance for the noob question. >>>>>> >>>>>> Thanks, >>>>>> Andrea >>>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>> >> >

Hi Andrea,

Are you trying to use ODK Collect or ODK Aggregate (or both)? ODK Tables
connects to each of them, but entirely separately. The code that uses
Collect is unfortunately kind of just stuck in our main activity right now.
You can find that here:
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/src/yoonsung/odk/spreadsheet/Activity/TableActivity.java?repo=spreadsheet
I think you'd want to look at the method at the method at line 788.

If there's anything I might be able to do to help, please let me know. I'm
not too familiar with our Collect connection stuff, but I'd be happy to
track down the person who originally added it if I can't figure it out.

-Hilary

P.S. Just as a heads up, I'm probably going to be changing that class sort
of soon, including relocating the Collect connection code. Obviously that
won't matter to you if you've downloaded it, but I thought I should let you
know in case you browse the repo on Google Code.

··· On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote:

hilary,

could you help andrea? and if you have some time, it'd be great to
start documenting the code on the wiki.

thanks,

yaw

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 06:47, andrea antonello andrea.antonello@gmail.com wrote:

I have some problems browsing the tables (spreadsheet?) code.

The connection is done via the :
org.opendatakit.aggregate.odktables.client.AggregateConnection
class, which is inside a custom built jar contained in the project.
Following the namespace I am not able to find where that class is
taken from.
In fact the usual namespace used seems to be org.odk...., so I am
wondering where the code for AggregateConnection is hold.

Thanks,
Andrea

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM, andrea antonello andrea.antonello@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Yaw,
thanks for the advices.

can't find it.
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse?repo=spreadsheet

I downloaded it and also tried to run it to figure out where to look
at. But I am not getting on as I would like to.
Is there any documentation about the project? I couldn't find a
wiki/doc dedicated to it.

Thanks,
Andrea

yaw

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 00:35, andrea antonello andrea.antonello@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Yaw,
thank you for your answer.

I see the action intents, I was hoping to find some example binding
but as I see ODK is mostly used as standalone clientside app?

I would be interested for example to have a first screen that takes a
barcode and populatetes the rest of the form pages with some
preconfigured data to check. Is this usecase possible?

Also I would like to integrate ODK data collection in the open source
geopaparazzi app (www.geopaparazzi.eu). In that case I would need to
be able to retrieve the main form types on my own and open them when
sampling is needed, perhaps filling in the position automatically.
Right now we use some simepl json forms (
http://code.google.com/p/geopaparazzi/wiki/AddNoteByTag2 ), which I
would love to substitute with this amazing project.

Can you give me some more advice about the above matters?
Also is there anyone that maybe integrated ODK in his app and would be
ok to share some example code?

Thanks,
Andrea

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Yaw Anokwa yanokwa@gmail.com wrote:

andrea,

form entry and instance chooser activities both respond to intents,
and that's the recommended way to embed odk collect.

we don't have great documentation on this, but it's pretty straight
forward. the intents we respond to are at

http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/AndroidManifest.xml?repo=collect

the intents generally do the standard android things (view, edit,
pick, etc), but check the activity source for the details. search for
"Intent.ACTION" and you'll find it.

hope that helps,

yaw

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:13, andrea antonello andrea.antonello@gmail.com wrote:

Hi developers,
I am afraid I could not find the starter doc to embed the ODK
collection client in an own application.
I am sure there is some, but browsing the wiki didn't help me. I
just
found doc about setting up the android devel environment.

I would like to integrate the collection part into an android field
survey application.
Is it possible or is it defined that ODK collect has to be installed
and then addressed by intent?

I apologize in advance for the noob question.

Thanks,
Andrea