Basic info for orient us towards the use of ODK

Hi Friends!

We are an Italian association, and want to set up a georeferenced website, where put geospaztial informations about environment, health, food, pollution, etc..
In this moment we have activated geonode. 3x1t. org, geonode based, all works fine but we are thinking to migrate to uMap basically because we are of the opinion that it can be easier to maintain and manage also at the user level.

We know that uMap can digest a database via server and we read and found then ODK that permit to collect information, also geospatial, and again we have seen Android applications -> github. com/GeoODK/collect that can simplify the action of collecting information by end users.

Basically we need to collecting specific below data (to send then to uMap):

• geospatial data (marker)
  • measurements (water pollution, electromagnetic levels, presence of lowland woods, fruit trees, etc.)
  • textual notes
  • photos
  • other textual data, etc..

And we seems to have understand that GeoODK Collect can do this, tell us what you think about it :wink:
Again we have a Linux server and would like to understand how we could set up an own ODK server (where put all data collected by GeoODK Collect,

kindly could you give us some information/documentations/etc?

Many thanks!

Davide
Italy

Hi Davide! When you get a chance, please introduce yourself here.

GeoODK Collect isn't a core ODK tool. It's a fork of ODK Collect that hasn't received an update for more than three years. Much of the mapping functionality that is in GeoODK Collect was pulled into ODK Collect years ago and we continue to improve those features. You can try those out at https://docs.getodk.org/form-question-types/#location-widgets.

As to basic information on ODK, have you read the docs at https://docs.getodk.org? Start there and if you have a specific question, post it to this topic.

2 Likes

Hi
If you can manage the connection between odk central and umap, then I would be very interested in a documentation. Use odk collect myselg to collect the data and umap to display my data.
But currently always has to take the detour via qgis.
Best regards
Dominik

It should be possible to directly import a CSV export from Central into umap. Have you tried this, @Dominik1, and does it not give you the results you want?

Thank you for the advice, but I know this workflow
A csv file with geopoints would work. With polylines or polygons not. This is due to the well known text format (wkt) that is used in odk / kobo / geoodk (at least that's what I think, I haven't tried it properly). But if qgis cannot create a geojson from the csv without manipulation (this only works when the csv no longer contains values ​​for height and accuracy), then umap probably cannot either

What I would be interested in would be the direct connection to the server. A live representation of the data, so to speak, that is recorded via odk collect or kobo and sent directly to odk central and then shown with umap

2 Likes

Hi @Dominik1,

You should take a look at this showcase to get a real WKT geometry within your form :

1 Like

Really cool
Thank you so much