Dashboard recommendations for ODK data and Connecting to DHIS2

I Need your dashboard demo my email is azamiqbal51@gmail.com.and after that i will purchase your product

I've played with using Google Data Studio as a linked dashboard to allow for real time updates. Its worked well for the basics. It is limited in some regards associated with indicators which need to be estimated post-collection, and for data points within repeat groups (which don't publish to google sheets).

Publishing from Aggregate directly to Google Sheets is straight forward. Then linking the Sheet to Google Data Studio is also straight forward. Potential problems arise when computing values within google sheets, and using data from repeat groups.

I'm happy to discuss more if others are interested. I've had it on my list to check out PowerBI and would gladly like to hear more from the community on their experience linking PowerBI to Aggregate.

3 Likes

Hi Azam, please give me a demo. My email is: stephenkojwang@gmail.com

Hi Llyod, kindly also share with me your google data studio for a review. My google account: stephenkojwang@gmail.com

Thanks.

can i also give it a try? fabla2020@gmail.com

Hi Fabla and Stephen

I give a very general workflow of connecting ODK Aggregate, Google Sheets, and Google Data Studio HERE.

Do you have specific questions? If I'm able I will try to address them in the forum so everyone can benefit (with hopes others can provide insights as well).

3 Likes

Hello, Mic how to do that in Power BI?

Hello Kanagu, could your share it with us pleas?
Congrats for your job

Dear Kanagu, I am also very very interested of using your robust dashbord and reporting tool. I am running a project with Kobotoolbox (on the humanitarianresponse.info server instance). They have a simple reporting tool but it's not working now.
I'd like to have a look at your solution and hopefully it will help me.
My email: juhudi.duparc@congoinitiative.org

With respect SPECIFICALLY to DHIS2 - has anyone successfully connected ODK data to DHIS2? Or know of a developer/consultant to assist?

How would I link? Via Ona server or how, without using briefcase?

ou sorry for late answer. didn´t see it.
So i don´t know about Ona-server, how they let you access the database
PowerBI has some connectors integrated to get data from many sources like Websites, SQL/MySQL Databases
Even CRM like Salesforce...

So the tricky thing is make the connector work. then in the Powerbi-Desktop you have a button to refresh the data in the report.

DHIS2 uses Postgresql... there is a connector for this in PowerBI.
You can Publish Data(make sure it is anonymized) also ob websites. it looks like the attached link, can also be embeded and is interactive.
Click on the charts to filter them live
a nice feature :))

2 Likes

This is great Mic! How did you connect the power BI with odk servers (ona/kobo toolbox)? Did you transfer the data from odk servers to DHIS2 then from DHIS2 to power BI?

Hi Mic,
This looks super cool.
Can you please elaborate on how you connected ODK and Power BI?
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards,
Martin

A post was split to a new topic: Connect directly from kobo to power bi

This is great well done @Mic Kindly share how you were able to create that link between odk server and powerbi

I also wanted to note for this thread that the ODK Central server provides an OData live data feed, which you can use within PowerBI.

2 Likes

We use Power BI to do the visualization from ODK Aggregate. I don't know detail about DHIS2 but i think it will be some how the same. What we have done is as follow

• We have designed our forms on ODK aggregate

• Since our forms were not in a normalized table format to be easily used in Power BI, we have created a normalized table structure with in our database (PostgreSQL). We have also prepared views which can be easily consumed by Power BI.

• Then we use database triggers to update our normalized tables whenever there is a submission to ODK aggregate database.

• Finally we design our reports in Power BI desktop software and publish them to Power BI online.

One thing to note is Power BI online is not free. You need to have license for all people who is going to access your report. Or you can buy the premium version which is very expensive.

This might not be the best solution but it works with our tight schedule where we don't option to see other alternatives. If i had enough time, i would have checked Apache Supersett or Redash for visualization both are open source and do the work.

Thank you,
Nuredin

2 Likes

Good evening,
I don't know Power BI and we deployed a lot if Redash dashboards, some over Aggregate database.
As we plan to to do over Central with its json API as soon as we will have install it.

2 Likes