Error from missing geometry column

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

I have just opened my ODK collect on my mobile phone and thus error message came up, see screen shot. If I select OK, it closes up the app.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

I have tried to reinstall but still same error

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
It has in the past not given such error

Hi,

Have you tried with a different version of Android. Seems like this version is not compatible with your Android version. What version of Android are you using?

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for your response.
I use Android 9.

Hi,

Please try the same version of the collect with a lower version of the collect and if that works, then it may be something to do with the android version 9. This is quite normal when a new version of OS or App version releases it may not compatible with each other and hope this will be fixed on the next release of collect if there is a bug.

Thanks

1 Like

This looks to me like you have a corrupt database file. What happens when you tap 'ok'? Did you run another ODK-derived client like KoboCollect before getting this error?

If you're able to tap ok and you don't have any unsubmitted data on your device, go to the top right three dots, Admin Settings and then Reset application.... Select "Saved forms" and reset. Any saved forms will be deleted so only do this if you don't have unsubmitted data. If you have unsubmitted data we can help you get it off another way.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response.

It doesn't allow me click OK, trying to do that it closes up the app. This is also happening to Kobo collect. I don't have any data on there, just trying to learn ODK and set it up.

I can see where to find and download an lower version of ODK, and I am also having similar problem with Kobo collect

Hi,

Please try same version of ODK on another android device with lower version of Android OS.

Thanks

1 Like

ODK Collect works well with Android 9. This is definitely a database corruption issue with this specific device.

Kobo Collect is an older version of ODK Collect that uses the same database so it can cause corruption when both are used on the same device. Start by uninstalling Kobo Collect. You shouldn't need it, again, it's just an old version of ODK Collect. Then kill ODK Collect. If you're not sure how to do this, this article should help. Relaunch ODK Collect and see if that works. I'm trying to force it to run a database migration if it hasn't.

If that doesn't work, you're going to need to remove your instances database file and I can write up some instructions for that.

1 Like

I have installed Collect on my Huawei Tablet operating Android 7 and it works. But Collect still not working on its equivalent android 9 mobile phone even with force kill, its still not working

I have uninstalled Kobo, force killed Collect on my Honor Android 9 mobile phone and relaunched ODK collect but still not working.

I have just installed ODK Collect on my Huawei tablet Android 7 and this works.

I appreciate when next I can try with my mobile phone.

Regards

You will need to remove your instances database and let Collect regenerate it. I think the easiest way to do that is to browse to it using a file navigation app and delete it. You can see this article about how to navigate the files on your device. You will need to navigate to Device storage (may also be called "local storage"), then the odk folder, then the metadata folder. In that folder, you should see a file named instances.db. Delete that file and then launch Collect again.

Deleting that file means you will lose all status information about submissions so you won't know which are sent, which are unfinalized, when they were created, when their status last changed, etc. However, you won't lose any data.

1 Like

Thank you it now works. Best

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: ODK folder is not being created