GPS Accuracy and accuracyThreshold Issues

What is the problem? Please be detailed.

Since 2016 we have been using geopoint and when the GPS accuracy dropped below 5 m the auto save functionality worked. For the last two or three months our GPS accuracy here in Nepal won't seem to drop below 10 m now. Based on the XLS Form documentation we have tried to use body::accuracyThreshold and set this to 11 m, but the XLS Form Converter gives a warning when we try and convert the XLS sheet to an XML file.

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?

ODK Collect v1.13.2 on an Android v7.0.

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

The error message above was created by converting the sample gps_accuracy_threshold Google Sheet, saving it as an XLS file, and then loading it to the xiForm converter.

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

We tried using only accuracyThreshold in the XLS file instead of body::accuracyThreshold. This allows the XLS file to be successfully converted to an XML, but the auto save functionality doesn't work.

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

It would be good to know if there was some change in the code for determining the GPS accuracy which would explain why we have observed a sudden change in its behavior.

The accuracy not going below 10m was indeed an issue and was fixed in 1.14.0.

I highly encourage you to follow the Releases category so you are aware of changes made as they happen. You can do this by clicking on the circle in the upper right hand corner of the category page and selecting Watching:

I also highly encourage you to join the beta program with a test device. You can learn more about that at ODK Collect v1.14 Beta. ODK Collect runs on thousands of different kinds of devices in lots of different conditions so beta feedback is really important!

As for the XLSForm warning, it can be safely ignored.

1 Like

Thanks so much @LN for the quick and helpful reply! I just started watching the Releases category and will look into the beta program.

Regarding the XLSForm warning, I will ignore the error message, and I'm guessing the accuracyThreshold will work regardless?

1 Like

Regarding the XLSForm warning, I will ignore the error message, and I'm guessing the accuracyThreshold will work regardless?

Yes, exactly. I should have mentioned that! The warning should always have been there and in fact it will be resolved in the next form converter release.

Great, thanks again @LN!

1 Like