How to create your account and claim your old emails/posts

Remind me again, why are we moving from Google Groups?
The ODK community has gotten quite large and the Google Groups mailing lists were getting too chatty and disorganized. Discourse, the platform running this site, lets us have deeper, specialized conversations without emailing everybody. It also supports features like voting, marking answers as correct, rich search, a great mobile experience, and emoji :sunglasses:!

How do I create my account and claim my old emails/posts?
An account has already been created for the email address that you used to email/post on the ODK Community and ODK Developer lists. To claim your account and get access to your old emails/posts:

• Go to https://forum.getodk.org and click on Log In in the upper right hand of your screen.
  • Click on I forgot my password and enter your email address. Remember, it must be the same address you used to sign up for this mailing list!
  • You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click that link and enter your new password.

If you never posted on the ODK mailing lists, go to https://forum.getodk.org and click on Sign Up in the upper right hand of your screen to create your account.

I'm logged into my account. Now what?
Awesome! You've gotten through the hardest part. Now the fun begins:

• If you are not happy with the default username, change it now in Preferences. You will not be able to change it later!
  • Take a moment to introduce yourself here.
  • Read the category descriptions to see the various places you can post.
  • If you have questions or comments about this site, post it in meta.

But what if I like using email?
Once you have claimed your account, you can go to Preferences and Enable mailing list mode. All messages posted to the forum will be sent to you and you will be able to reply through email. If you’d like, you can also mute certain categories so you don’t receive messages from them.

I need help with the transition!
If you are able to post, post your questions in meta. If you are not able to post, email team@opendatakit.org and we’ll be glad to help!

One more thing...
This migration would not have been possible without these kind and thoughtful people below. From everyone in the ODK community, thank you!

3 Likes