ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.
Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store on your device (not in the web browser) and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.
Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).
What to check in this release
- Status indicator when form calculations take time. If you have a form for which navigation from one screen to the next can be slow, this is a good one to verify and give us feedback on.
- Fix for values in groups triggering calculations outside the group. There's some risk around repeats -- if you use dynamic defaults in repeats, consider verifying your form and sharing it with us if you can so we can add to our test cases.
- Major upgrade to Mapbox mapping library. If you change your settings to use Mapbox for mapping, please verify that it still works as intended. @ahblake
- Submissions are sent as UTF-8 (this may affect those who don't use ODK Central)
- Default Android splash screen. Custom splash screens have been removed as announced here
- Target Android 12. This could lead to unexpected behavior changes. Please report anything suspicious
You can find a full list of changes in the release notes:
Thanks to all testers for your help!