ODK TSC-1 Call - 2019-05-29

These calls bring together the Technical Steering Committee for the ODK suite to discuss roadmaps, working groups, and other issues of technical governance. Everyone is welcome to come to these calls, but only TSC members may talk.

The calls are held every two weeks in our UberConference room. We put the agenda, audio, and transcript of every call in this document.

Our next call will be Wed, Wed, May 29th at 6am America/Pacific. The meeting time should be shown in your timezone above.

The agenda is tentatively as follows:

  1. Introduction/warm up/agenda review
    prep for warm-up question: refer https://opendatakit.org/community/governance/

  2. Review action items from last meeting
    a. Yaw: Send in a PR for the “Recommended” page

    b. Martijn: Create a PR in the governance TSC repo with the contents of the Project Governance doc

    • Done

    c. Gareth: Add the logos in the parking lot to ensure we can retake this when the moment is appropriate

    d. Yaw: Explain with some screenshots how to use the forum features he’s described

    • Looks like it’s only restricted to moderators. I’ve filed a feature request with Discourse.

    e. Yaw, Adam, Tom: write a change proposal for the decision making section of the TSC governance doc

    f. Gareth: move the parking lot into the roadmap and send a PR to update the landing page link

    g. Martijn: Task to change the time of the event in the facilitator’s checklist.

    • Done
  3. Roadmap & parking lot check-in

  4. Discuss loosening Validate/javaRosa checks (Gareth, Martijn?)

    • type checking XPath via static evaluation
    • DAG check false positives: eg coalesce(., ${foo}), index-repeat(${foo}, ${group}, position(..)-1)
  5. +/Δ

  6. Next meeting time—same or different?

  7. Next meeting roles

    1. Facilitator: (see list)

    2. Note taker: (Usually facilitator from last meeting)

  8. Review action items

The agenda can also be seen in the agenda document

If there are topics you would like to add to the TSC's agenda, please comment below. :point_down:

Please feel free to suggest agenda items, or if there is anything currently pressing that could benefit from a TSC discussion. (nothing is jumping out to me as urgent in roadmap or parking lot...). I may bump proposed Validate discussion to later date if neither @martijnr nor @ln can make it.

Unless there are pressing issues needing TSC review (please let me know if so), I might propose adding a (short?) discussion to kick around idea for tables/grids in Collect. Although technically 'ice-boxed' on the roadmap, this feature request seems to keep bubbling up to the surface on a regular basis, so it might be good to at least discuss if this is really something we feel the need to support eventually.

There's an ongoing ODK thread about this here: Form design: grid of text or numeric input

For lack of better alternatives, I've added this for discussion to this week's TSC call, assuming we have time after reviewing roadmap/parking lot changes (I suspect Validate discussion will be bumped due to lack of quorum)


One agenda item I'd like to add is this TSC-1 Lazy Consensus Timelines document that @adam.butler, @tomsmyth, and I have been iterating on.

I think the Validate/JavaRosa topic requires a lot of context. Also, @LN isn't going to be able to make it to most TSC calls. I'd propose @martijnr, @Xiphware, and @LN get on a separate call, hammer out the details, and send a recommended plan of attack for the TSC to weigh and approve.

I agree that the grid issue is something we should have an initial TSC discussion around if we have time.


@yanokwa may I add a quick update to agenda regarding proposed ODK face-2-face?

A post was split to a new topic: Aggregate connect to DB