As a form designer, I want to be able to group several related text or numeric inputs into a grid so that they can be input quickly by enumerators.
There are many kinds of forms that involve collecting several values of the same kind. A simple example:
This would currently need to be represented as 9 different text fields in vertical sequence (e.g. "How many grams of vegetables did you eat for breakfast?").
Several users have asked for grid or table input and included concrete use cases:
- @Kanhu How to design text-based Grid widget
- @Kennethchola Is there a way of coding a questionnaire in a table form as shown in this picture?
- @PS_PRAKASH Table question
- @sohashami Building a table or matrix for a set of questions on XLSForm
- @AnneSMI Putting questions next to each other
I propose we start by supporting just text or numeric input. @Grzesiek2010 had pointed to here, he had previously worked on a grid view for repeats in a Collect fork. Any type is allowed but the input is done in a modal rather than directly in the grid. A similar idea could be used to support all question types in a grid without repeats but I'm not sure the complexity is worth it. My sense is that supporting text and numeric input initially will provide a lot of value and address most cases.
Once there is agreement on the feature's behavior, I will provide proposals for ODK XForms and XLSForm.