Select_one from a csv file with read_only

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I have been using select_one with the list coming from a CSV file with the question being read only. This has been working OK with ODK Collect upto version 1.27 where by you have a disabled list. From version 1.29 of ODK Collect the list no longer shows but if I remove the read only option then the list will appear. It is very important for me to use the read only option as I need the user to see a list of already registered animals in a household to prevent them from registering an animal twice.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK Collect Version 1.30.1

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
It was working before the upgrade

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Create a question with select_one from a csv file using search in the appearance column and set the read_only column as yes

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @hnjamba
This is a related issue Issue displaying summary table using field-list appearance and read_only on ODK Collect

broadly speaking we wanted to standardize the way our widgets work when read-only option is used and decided not to display question body in such a case if there is no default/calculated answer and this seem to be your case.

Could you maybe attach a small form that presents your issue so that we can think of a different way of solving your problem?

I am attaching here a Sample Form with the CSV Files that it uses. Let me give a short background.

ADGG_Sample_ODK_Issue.xlsx (21.7 KB) animal_colors.csv (88 Bytes) animal_list.csv (1.7 KB) farmer_list.csv (507 Bytes)

We have a continuous monitoring system for farmers which uses ODK and implemented in Kenya. It is used by Artificial Insemination Service Providers as they visit farmers to serve their animals. The animals are not registered at once considering there will be new animals joining the herd over time. And in any case the AISP only needs to register the animal they are serving at that point in time.

When the farmer is visited the next time (same AISP or different one), I need to show before hand the list of animals that are already registered in that farm to minimize double registration of animals. This list is the one that is READ ONLY. If the animal is already registered in the list then the AISP will pick that animal from a multiple select list at the section used to capture the AI Data.

One of the possible solutions would be using pulldata to display what you need. The problem is that that function takes one row from a csv files what meant you can't have multiple rows with the same id (the id you are looking for). Could you maybe merge values in animal_list or prepare a separate csv file with such merged values.
It would be like:
animal_short_list.csv (717 Bytes)
Please test this file with this edited form:
listSample.xlsx (10.2 KB)

Would that work for you?

Thinking about this a bit further and playing around with possibilities and a bit of reading, I realized I can achieve the same effect of showing a listing of already registered animals per the selected farmer using select_one based on a list from a file. Then rather than make the question read only I changed the appearance to no-buttons. This shows the list but because there are no selection radio buttons for the selection then it achieves the same effect that I require for the user.

Yes, but using no-buttons appearance those elements will be clickable so enumerators will be able to select something and that answers will be present in your filled forms. If it's not a problem then yeah go ahead.