View Google cached map tiles on off-line ODK Collector location

I am using Open Data Kit to collect data on an Android tablet. The ODK form was built using the ODK Build application on-line. Since my tablet does not have a cellular connection I have cached the Google Maps tiles on to the tablet. I can view the tiles when there is no wifi connection in the Google Maps app so I know the caching works. I cannot view the cached map tiles while collecting data in the field while using the ODK Collect without wifi.
Since these Android devices store the last know location it might record/report an invalid location given GNSS availability. I would like to see the current location I am recording on a map to ensure that I am in the correct location.

Is there some way to see the cached map tiles in the ODK Collect app on the tablet without wifi or cellular?

Hi there,

The Google Maps application has an offline cache, but the Google Maps
functionality that non-Google apps use do not have access to that
cache.

If you want offline maps, upgrade to the latest version of ODK Collect
and in your General Settings, switch your Mapping SDK to OpenStreetMap
and select an appropriate basemap. The OSM SDK will cache your tiles
automatically.

Also, this might all be unnecessary. If you are using true GPS with
the geopoint widget and accuracy is say 5-10 meters, it's extremely
unlikely (dare I say, impossible) for you to get the wrong location.

Yaw

ยทยทยท On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 2:38 AM, wrote: > > I am using Open Data Kit to collect data on an Android tablet. The ODK form was built using the ODK Build application on-line. Since my tablet does not have a cellular connection I have cached the Google Maps tiles on to the tablet. I can view the tiles when there is no wifi connection in the Google Maps app so I know the caching works. I cannot view the cached map tiles while collecting data in the field while using the ODK Collect without wifi. > Since these Android devices store the last know location it might record/report an invalid location given GNSS availability. I would like to see the current location I am recording on a map to ensure that I am in the correct location. > > Is there some way to see the cached map tiles in the ODK Collect app on the tablet without wifi or cellular? > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

A post was split to a new topic: OSM SDK available in ODK2 Tables & survey app?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Solution on cascading or drop-down