When using a RTL language in Collect, arrows for "back" and "next" buttons point in the wrong direction

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.
The direction of the arrows in the "next" and "back" buttons in right-to-left language (in this case Arabic) is incorrect. The next and back buttons are correctly moved to the left and right sides of the screen, respectively, but the arrows point in the wrong direction.

2. What steps can we take to reproduce this issue?

Change the app language in Collect to Arabic.

3. What have you tried to fix the issue?

n/a

4. Upload any forms or screenshots you can share publicly below.

The arrows should still point to the "outside" of the screen (as they do in the English) rather than the inside:

1 Like

As a follow-up, one of my team members noticed that the animation also slides in from the right when clicking "next" ("التالي") in Arabic. Ideally, the animation could also slide in from the left so the UX completely mirrors the UX in left-to-right languages.

Thanks for the clear descriptions!

My hunch is that this will be straightforward to put an exception on.

My hunch is that this will be more complicated to address.

We will aim to investigate this after we complete the v2023.1 release and report back what we find.

We have a beta rolling out now that improves the form filling experience for RTL languages: ODK Collect v2023.2 Beta: fresh new look!, simplified drafts language, faster lookups in large CSVs, improved RTL support. Navigation should now go from right to left with the correct arrows and animations. Please give it a try and let us know whether there are additional improvements to make.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, @LN ! I just tested the beta it looks good to me, but I will run it past a couple other people and let you know if we see anything else.

2 Likes