I'd like to propose and gauge interest in the following 3 types of additional functionality to ODK Central using Enketo's API.
Various ways to view empty forms as well as records (loaded into a form). For example:
- A form preview to test form appearance and logic, as used on https://opendatakit.org/xlsform/ (using this API call)
- A PDF of an empty form (using this API call)
- A PDF of a record loaded into a form (using this API call)
- Viewing a record in readonly form (using this API call)
Editing already submitted data
This is the feature that KoBoToolbox, Ona (and even the old Formhub) are using to edit submitted data in a browser (using this API call). There have been some expressions of interest in this feature (for Aggregate) in this forum. Technically, this requires the ODK Central backend to become able to deal with replacing earlier submissions (using an instanceID -> deprecatedID swap). This could be done by either maintaining a chain of edits or by removing an older version of a record once an edit has been submitted.
Collecting data in a browser
This would expose additional use cases/features for collecting data with ODK Central such as:
- online website-embedded surveys (using this API call)
- email single-use surveys that have some protection against multiple submissions by the same person (using this API call)
- online surveys where default values for questions can be dynamically populated (per user if desired)
- desktop/laptop data collection/entry
- iOS data collection/entry
- displaying questions in a flexible grid using the Grid Theme
As well as providing an alternative to ODK Collect for
- Offline-capable, multi-submission surveys done by enumerators (using this API call)
If some of these seem interesting to you, please let us know! The feedback can be used for fund-raising and planning.