We are planning to modify the form end screen in ODK Collect to address a number of issues:
- There is redundant information on the screen
- It’s not clear whether the filled form will be editable vs. not after save
- It’s not clear what saving the form does (e.g. will it validate the form contents? Encrypt?)
- To support the entities work, we need a state in which a filled form can no longer be edited
We see from analytics that currently data collectors edit both finalized and non-finalized filled forms.
If any of these apply to you, we’d like to set up a user interview:
- Have trained data collectors on using the “Mark form as finalized” checkbox
- Have a workflow in which it’s important that forms are NOT edited after completion
- Have a workflow that requires saving and editing filled forms later
- Have a workflow in which data collectors manually set the instance name ("Name this form")
- Have been confused by the finalization checkbox
Please send me a direct message or email email@example.com if you are interested so that we can set up a user interview!
The screen in question:
I think it is a great idea to review this page as you said.
I had witnessed situations where collectors for more than one year had not been submitting forms to the server because they taught after clicking on mark as finalized, the form was sent to the server automatically and no one noticed that until review. Luckily for that situation, the finalized forms were still all in the phone.
Thanks for that insight, @Derrick_Demeveng.
The default configuration when configuring from Central QR code is to auto-send on finalization and that's generally what we recommend. We have not changed the default for other configurations for continuity but maybe that's something to consider. Would you be up for a conversation about finalization more broadly?
If you're not using Central, you have a few options to turn on auto-send:
Thanks @LN, I know of the autosend option which is great. But in our situation will not be a good idea as sometimes it can take a week to finalize a form while searching for missen information.
I think it will be more usefull to find a more insightful way to make the user know his form is finalized but not submitted and that he has to do it manually.
Sure, I can definitely find time for a conversation on finalisation.