I am interested in tools and documentation about connecting ODK with DHIS2.
Background: in my work (distributing bednets against malaria), DHIS2 is commonly used for storing and analysing data. We use it both for summary data (e.g., number of nets distributed per day in a given place) and individual-level data (e.g., GPS coordinates of a household that has received nets). People value the dashboards and analysis features of DHIS2. In addition, there are also political reasons for using it.
For data collection, however, ODK is the better solution. It has simpler and more intuitive forms, better data validation, and requires fewer resources on the phones/tablets.
- Third-party solutions
- Bao Systems built a KoboToolbox connector for DHIS2. This looks like the most related project. It reads from Kobo's API. Probably does not work with ODK Central.
- OpenFN has connectors to ODK and DHIS2. It looks like this solution would require a fair amount of coding. Similar projects are described here and look complex.
- Forum threads on this topic contain little information:
- Connecting ODK to DHIS2 (no answer beyond "you can import manually")
- Dashboard recommendations for ODK data and Connecting to DHIS2 (discusses generic methods like Cenral's API, OData feed. Little about DHIS2)
- ODK integration with DHIS2 (undocumented third-party tool)
- ODK to DHIS2 (generic link to ODK APIs)
- ODK and DHIS2 used in Uganda to help vaccinate 19.5 million children (success story without any technical details)
Do you know other tools? Do you have success stories to share, or lessons learned?